Translate

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Having Second Thoughts

Now that I've got a fairly good start on the vest I'm making, I'm not so sure about the patterning. I L-O-V-E the way the Kauni yarn in the ribbing and background is progressing smoothly from one shade of grey to the next, but the stranded patterning?-----Meh.


When I did my swatching for this pattern I was working with a section of the Kauni that was dark. (The pattern I ended up choosing is everything above the line of gold.)



I really liked the way the Garnet Heather colour looked muted yet rich against the dark background and how the gold colour became little flecks of interest. I knew that the effect would be different and would contrast more against the light grey sections of the Kauni yarn, but----well, I didn't expect it to be so drastic! I didn't swatch that part and I'm more than a bit disappointed in how it looks. I also think that the small oval pattern looks fine on the small sample but when placed on a larger sweater it becomes too much, ya know? Kind of like a speckled disease or something?

So now I'm back to the drawing board. I love the ribbing, I'm keeping that, but I've got to come up with a new choice for the patterning. Should I go back to my original plan to put the patterning from Knitpicks Ladies Jacquard Sweater Vest in there?



My fear, with this large floral pattern, is that the outer motifs may end up landing in a target like fashion right over my boobs. Not so great hmmm? I guess I could count rows and estimate where the flowers truly would land, and then adjust if necessary, but----well, maybe I'm not so in love with that floral as I at first thought. I'm really not much of a floral or wild print kind of gal anyway. I'm not even one for wearing t-shirts with pictures or sayings on them. Honestly, most of my wardrobe is plain, solid colours. I can't think of a single thing that has any kind of print let alone a floral.

Hmmmm, now there's a thought. Maybe I should knit just with the Kauni, no patterning at all? What do you think? Chime in in the comments. I'd like to have your opinion. I'll also take it to Knitters' Circle tonight and get the other knitter's opinions.

7 comments:

Callie said...

I think knitting it plain would look great! The shading will be enough of a pattern, I think, but you're a pro and can picture it finished. I can't.

dragon knitter said...

iagree with callie. the color gradations with thekauni are enough, if you're a predominantly solid kinda gal.

Maggie Ann said...

I know that whatever you decide to do it will be blue ribbon quality. I'm sure of it! ~~~Yes, by george, Yes my carder is a 'Deb's Delicate Deluxe' carder. So it was made in your area...and your husband met Mrs.Green...thats very interesting! I got mine at the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival...from a lady named Susan. She owns Susan's Fiber Shop in Wisconsin. Hubby bought my Lendrum from Susan 2 years ago. She only had one of these carders with her and I'm enjoying it SO much. She also had this Louet http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=2-301/378.0carder with her at the Festival and was giving a lot more demo's on it than on the 'Deb'. It was somewhat less expensive my husband pointed out. He decided to go for the better of the two...I am VERY glad he did. Susan also demonstrated for me two ways to 'spin long draw' which helped me no end. I know I'm talking your leg off, but she had spindles a friend had made...from ceramic that came to a point and spun in a saucer. I didn't get one though...after buying some colored roving and two bobbins and the carder, I thought that was enough for one day!

Marlene said...

Thanks Callie and Minnie. I think you are confirming what I already knew in my heart. For me, stranded patterning is best left for mittens! >wink<That pretty garnet heather colour will be set aside to make something else.

Sue said...

Or, if you wanted a stranded sweater (to make it thicker, warmer, or for the challenge), you could strand the Kauni against the Kauni. Start the "pattern color" ball a quarter repeat or so offset from the "main color" ball. Just enough to show a little contrast, not lightest-against-darkest even. Just a stutter step difference.

Susanne said...

You could try the pattern (that is now garnet colour) in the "other end" of the grey skein. Then as you get darker in the background you could change to the colours from the garnet mix.

Marlene said...

Those are both great ideas Sue and Suzanne. Right now the project is stalled while I consider all the options. No matter what I do I'll have to do another gauge swatch. My tension in stranded knitting is quite different than it is in plain stockinette. If I decide to still do the stranded knitting but in a different way I'll still have to do another gauge swatch because I'd be working with two strands of Kauni and the Palette yarn was a bit thinner.