As I was knitting I came to the end of the working yarn and needed to pull more off the cone. I lifted my arms and knitting to pull the yarn from the cone and IT happened. Aack.
I had somehow gotten the end of the circular tucked under my butt. When I lifted up on the knitting the circular needle pulled out of about a third of the stitches! You could have heard my gasp all the way to Vancouver I think. While evaluating the gravity of this situation, keep in mind that I am working with BLACK, laceweight, BOUCLE that is as unforgiving as can be. After a moment to let the dizziness pass I grabbed all the stitches that I could see, knowing full well that I was missing many, if not most, of the yarn overs. Thankfully this is a pattern where most of the yarn overs only ladder down one row. As I did the cast off I picked up yarn overs where ever it looked like they should be.
As far as I could tell at that point, it was okay. The nature of this black boucle is such that mistakes are hard to see. That could be a good thing, but I was concerned that I could have missed a stitch or two and would only find out about it when the severe blocking was done.
Turns out my fears were warranted. Under the pressure of the blocking two different sections let go, both involving double decreases. Here for you viewing horror is one of them.
I found some black sewing thread and did the best I could, first catching the stitches and then pulling and prodding them into a semblance of what they should have been. The repair is visible, but not horribly so. In the picture below the repair is along the top edge between the 16 and 17 inch marks on the tape measure.
The good news is that it lies in the section that drapes the back of the neck and it can't be seen in the folds of the scarf while it is being worn.
I like the way the green beads twinkle in and out of view like stars in a night sky.