Translate

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Tencel Nightmare Update

I worked all day on the tencel Feather and Fan Shawl. When my back began to ache I took a short break for lunch and another to do a load of laundry, but otherwise it was me, the shawl, a couple of crochet hooks and a container of beads from 7 am to 5 pm.

The entire crocheted, beaded, looped bind off is now complete, the shawl is off the circular needle and I can take a closer look at the damage done by a few run-a-way stitches. 5 run-a-way stitches to be exact. 5 run-away-stitches that multiplied faster than the proverbial bunnies, and together with their partners in crime created unsightly holes in my lace shawl. You know, the shawl that I have been knitting for the last few months? Yeah, that one.

HOLE ONE

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

HOLE TWO

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

HOLE THREE

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Holes four and five are smaller and may need only minor repairs. One of them might just be a snagged thread.

Anyway, it is time to take a break. I'm giving myself 48 hours off as a reward for bravery in the face of overwhelming adversity. Well, that and I have some fleece combing to do before the wool combs I borrowed have to be given back on Thursday morning. Thursday afternoon though, the tencel and I shall meet again. I shall not be defeated.

Note to Leisel: The place to begin ( I reckon) is to figure out where in the chart the hole occurs, grab the first stable stitches, and knit upward from there, one painstaking stitch at a time, following the graph.

I have two things working in my favor. First, this is a "simple" lace. The pattern rows (which are very logical and repetitive) occur only every fourth row and the rows in between are plain stockinette. Secondly, all the yarn is there, hanging loosely in the hole, ready to be picked up and knit again. It is not like I actually missed stitches, knit them in the incorrect order, or broke the yarn....these are dropped stitches. Taken slowly, methodically and calmly, all should work out well. The stitches will just have to be anchored with a spare length of yarn when I get them to the position they were dropped from.

Simple.

At least that is what I will keep telling myself during my 48 hour break from reality.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"all the yarn is there, hanging loosely in the hole, ready to be picked up and knit again. It is not like I actually missed stitches, knit them in the incorrect order, or broke the yarn"

Ah, yes... that probably makes a huge difference. I can almost imagine being able to do such a thing as you're describing... if I didn't manage to confuse myself beyond all hope, that is.

I wouldn't have a clue in the world to fix actual MISTAKES in the knitting. Whether it's possible for anyone else, I don't know, but I'm certain it wouldn't be possible for me.

dragon knitter said...

that sounds tedious as hell! good luck to you, my friend, i'll be rooting for ya! and i got the flower basket shawl done, and am actually thinking about doing a second, only beading this one! woot!

Michelle said...

Now I'm paranoid about my shawl! I know you can fix this...but, as dragon knitter said, it sounds tedious.