Translate

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Haircut

I've done it now. I cut my hair off. Well....not all of it, and I didn't cut it myself, I had a hairdresser do the job. I've had long hair nearly all my life. It has always been at least to my shoulders and often nearly to my waist. I was tired of it. I felt frumpy and style-less and really needed a change. The last time I felt like this (a little over a year ago) the hairdresser talked me into a milder change. At that time I went from very long to shoulder length and that was good enough for a while, but it still had basically the same, long hair look. Yesterday I marched in, ready for a REAL change. And I got it.



It looked a little different when it was first done. This is a "day after" picture. The hairdresser had it looking a little more styled, but a LOT more greasy and dirty looking. I can't handle a heavy, clumpy, product laden feel and look to my hair and couldn't wait to wash the mousse and hair wax from my hair this morning.

Now comes the dreaded "day after" attempt to do something with what you're stuck with. Sometimes I think it must be nice to be so rich that you have your personal hairdresser who is right there on your estate waiting to do your bidding. The one I would hire would not only be an absolute whiz at hairstyling, she would also be a skilled massage therapist. Anyway....back to reality. My long hair was simply "wash and wear" so the little bit of "fixing" I had to do this morning felt like a hassle, but really, it only took a few minutes. I am reasonably satisfied with the results. I think of it as a work in progress though, and I am sure I will get better at styling it as the days go by.

The best thing about this haircut has nothing to do with appearance at all. It feels like an energy change.....a stepping from the past into the future....a statement of self confidence....a belief in myself....a bold grasp of who I am rather than who others expect me to be.

6 comments:

Maggie Ann said...

I think your new hair style is very becoming. It frames your face nicely, good for you to have the courage to take the plunge. I like my short hair, and it is very short....yet, I think it frames your face becomingly and for myself,short hair saved me alot of work and frustration and gave me a style of my own. Although, I must confess, at times I long for curls or waves, but not for too long. The few perms I've had, gave me a nasty backlash about 3 months later. Not worth it, according to me. Congrats on your new style!

Marlene said...

I've tried perms too Maggie Anne. Just ask my kids about my perms and they will fall to the floor in a fit of giggles. I looked like Bozo the Clown's twin sister! Then a couple of months after a perm I would have a "flat top" and the endless curling iron episodes would begin. Now I am a real believer in going with your hair's natural tendencies!

I went for a long walk today with a hat on. Hmmm.....learned what everyone means when they complain of "hat head". THAT never happened when I had long hair.

Michelle said...

Wow! Your haircut looks great. I'm with you on not using products on my hair. A good haircut should eliminate the use of them, anyway. This makes me want to go and chop my hair off...but, I really don't look good with short hair.

Amie said...

I'm another really long hair girl who hates product...

And I've been contemplating a big change, too... but not sure what I'd do if I hated it...

Yours looks FANTASTIC! Kudos on the bravery!

Marlene said...

Michelle and Amie, I'll not try to talk you into cutting your hair. Something that drastic has to be thought about long and hard and must be an individual decision. As I said, this is something I have been contemplating for over a year (with a haircut to shoulder length first). I also did a lot of research about what I like best and what I hated about the various looks in style right now THAT WERE DOABLE WITH MY HAIR TYPE. Then I COMMUNICATED with the sylist very carefully showing pictures and making it very clear what I DIDN'T want. Over the next few haircuts I am sure there will be some "tweaking" of the basic style as I learn more about how this handles and what I do and don't like about it.

kristo said...

Wow Mom! I love your hair! :-D (Jer says he likes it too)