Translate

Thursday, September 09, 2004

Calling all Rogue knitters.

I am on the look-out for the perfect yarn to knit the Rogue. I want to get a lot of use out of this sweater (I am going to cardiganize it.) so I will probably go for a neutral grey color that I can wear with almost everything. I am thinking a heather or tweed type would add a little character. An alternate color choice might be a bright blue......not very neutral, but one of my favorite colors.

A machine washable wool would be nice, although I don't consider machine washability to be absolutely necessary. It does have to be soft on the skin.....no scratchy sweater lasts long with me.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would really like to hear from those who have knit the Rogue. What did you use? Were you happy with it? Did you have any trouble reaching the 4.5 sts per inch gauge? How was the drape of the yarn when knitted at gauge? Did the cables show up well?

I've looked in the local yarn stores and there just isn't much to be had. Purchasing anything they have in stock would be a compromise at best. I have been looking around the internet and have interest in the Debbie Bliss Aran Tweed, Cashmerino, and Alpaca Silk. I'd go for the Alpaca Silk but none of the colors offered really turn my crank. If I could see it in person I might feel differently, but every yarn store around here does not carry the Debbie Bliss line. What's up with that? Even some of the stores listed as carrying the Debbie Bliss line do not have it.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm using Briggs & Little Tuffy brand for my Rogue. It is 80% Pure Wool, 20% Nylon. It isn't scratchy, but it is coarse and has vegetable matter. I always find certain wools are coarse until after washing, though. I'm enjoying knittng with it though...nice evenly spun and the colour is nice and even. Several other brands I've considered for the Rogue are Briggs & Little Heritage/100%wool(which only have neutral colours that I've found) and Mission Falls 1824, which is superwash merino and comes in really delicious colours.

Marlene said...

Thanks for your input Michelle.