Translate

Thursday, August 05, 2004

Crocheting a Rainbow

I took a break from knitting yesterday (shocking but true!) and picked up a crochet WIP that has been suffering from neglect. This is a Rainbow Doily, crocheted using 3 strands of sewing thread at a time. The threads are changed, gradually, and one at a time, creating a softly blended color gradation throughout.



I am on row #36 of the 52 row doily. As the work progresses and the circumference grows it is starting to take a l-o-n-g time to get around each row. The biggest problem I have had with this project comes from working three threads at once. I find it easy to miss a thread. It is like working with a yarn that splits badly. I am also finding that the thread can easily tangle and when that happens it is next to impossible to fix. To help in that end, I am using a spool holder to keep the numerous spools of thread organized and prevent them from rolling around as they are used. I place the holder on the floor at my side and the thread unwinds from the top of the spools.

When this doily is finally finished I think I will frame it and place it on the wall facing our front door. It is a pineapple pattern and the pineapple motif is traditionally a symbol of WELCOME, so I feel the entrance would be a fitting location. As pretty as it is, it is too shockingly colorful to blend into the decorating scheme of other areas of our house.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Your doily is gorgeous! You do great crocheting as well and knitting. I have a pattern leaflet to make these, but I've yet to get into my crocheting groove again. In the meantime, I'm going to stock up on some thread and try a small one, hopefully in the near future.

Amie said...

That doily literally took my breath away! GORGEOUS!!!
RoseByAny.blogspot.com

Maggie Ann said...

Marlene, your Rainbow Doiley is breathtaking. Those colors......wow!! Your thread-holder is a clever way to do that. I have been planning to start one, (on the back burner of my life). Congratulations on a "museum" piece as my husband would say jokingly when I complete something extra special. Your pineapple doiley will be wonderfully welcoming to your guests. (Or, you could try for riches on ebay with it :-)....just kidding..

Maureen said...

Marlene,
That doily is breathtaking. I have never seen a colorblend like that. What gorgeous work....

Jen said...

This is lovely! I know I'm six years late to the party, but brava!

DearBigBrother said...

Wow, beautiful. Is there a pattern you can share?

Marlene said...

The pattern is from the copyrighted booklet, "Painted Doilies" published by Annie's Attic and available through Amazon.com.

DearBigBrother said...

Thanks for letting me know where to find the pattern. I will check it out.