Translate

Thursday, August 26, 2004

Contributing in a meaningful way.

I spent yesterday happily puttering about the house, cleaning, cooking and baking.....content in my role as "Domestic Goddess". There were no pressures, no deadlines, no boss or supervisor to please. I spent many hours "working" yet had no set schedule for breaks or "quitting time".....I simply worked until I didn't feel like working any more. While it's true that there was also no paycheque at the end of the day, I realized that I no longer feel a need for outside validation of my "worth".

At one time in my life I really did feel the need for some sort of concrete, outside, validation of my worth. I felt underappreciated as a "housewife" and went questing for an outside job where, at the end of each two week period, I received monetary proof of my value. For nearly nine years I worked primarily for that confirmation of my value to society. Sure the money was a nice perk, and quite necessary at the time, but looking back I can truly say that my motivation was more one of improved self-esteem and a feeling of contributing in a meaningful way.

I've been Unemployed By Choice now for over a year and I am LOVING it. Yesterday I had a big aha moment. I realized that in following my bliss and contentedly caring for my family I am providing a peaceful and loving environment for them. I AM "contributing in a meaningful way" even if a paycheque is not the end result.

And at the end of the day, I still have the time and energy to be creative! Ahhhh, BLISS.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm glad to hear you had your, "aha" moment. What you described yourself going through describes me also. I'm a stay at home mom now and I appreciate and realize my worth, like you, though I don't get anything monetary at the end of the week.

Holly said...

Good for you! I retire at the end of next year, and tire of always having to explain that no, I am not going go into a second career, I'm going to be a stay at home mom. I am SO looking forward to it! But it angers me at times that people give me a look when I say I'm going to be a stay at home mom, as if that has no value, or how could I do something so boring. I've even had people tell me it will drive me crazy because I always have to be busy doing something. They have not seen all the UFOs at my house, or they would know I have PLENTY to do once I don't have to go to work every day! WHOOHOO - can't WAIT!!!

Amie said...

I'm so jealous... I never thought I would be content as a housewife... then I was mysteriously ill for nearly three weeks this past winter, and found that, actually, I'm not bored out of my mind, I'm pleasantly satisfied (aside from the lingering cough) and feeling good... then I had to go back to work, and I've been bitter about office politics ever since. It's what really kicked me into gear about wanting a farm or something I could do from home... We just don't have the money for me to up and quit completely yet...

Maggie Ann said...

Well said. Some of the working world does make one feel 2nd class. It smarts, but we are the ones who make the home....home, the refuge for body and soul.