Translate

Sunday, August 29, 2004

Beaded Beginnings

I couldn't resist! I HAD to start yet another project. This one should be quick and easy and I was able to use some of the yarn from my stash. Last winter I bought some scrumptiously soft alpaca lace-weight with the intent of making myself a lacey scarf. I tried many different pattern stitches and was not happy with any of them. Sadly, I put the expensive ball of yarn away hoping that someday I would be able to use it.

That day has come! In the Lily Chin book I wrote about yesterday, I found a crochet pattern I was able to adapt to making a scarf. The alpaca lace-weight jumped from the closet and said "pick me, pick me" so I did. A quick trip to Walmart for a couple of bucks worth of beads and a new project was born.

I figured it was high time a new photo was added to this blog so here, in all its glory, is the beginnings of the beaded alpaca scarf.

4 comments:

Maggie Ann said...

Marlene, those beads are so pretty, I like the colors together with the yarn. I have never used beads in anything knit or crocheted, but do have a tatted snowflake pattern on the back burner that has seed beads tatted in.

Marlene said...

Maggie Anne, those beads all came in the same package and are called "black", but they shine in lovely variations not unlike the colors of an oil slick on water.

Marlene said...

Elisa, the alpaca IS wonderfully soft, and remains so on the underside where it will lie next to the neck, but all the beads kind of change the feel of the "public" surface of the scarf. I'll likely have the finished pictures of the scarf posted within the week as I am already about 1/3 done.

xmasberry said...

ooh, your scarf will be gorgeous. i'd like to try adding beads to some things. one more thing to do in my free-time ;-)